Sunday, March 02, 2008

It's Mutual: I Am Not Welcomed By Conservatives Other Than As A Patsy

Alterman:
David Brooks has a nice column about Buckley today, here. I was re-reading Sam Tanenhaus's terrific TNR piece of a while back, here, and came across what I took to be this remarkable passage, which I reprint without comment:
In 1997, when he was scouring the ranks of talented younger conservatives to find a new editor for National Review, Buckley eliminated one prospect, his one time protege David Brooks, a rising star at The Weekly Standard. In a memo to board members, Buckley reported that he had discussed Brooks with NR alum George Will: "I said that I thought it would be wrong for the next editor to be other than a believing Christian. He agreed and added that the next editor should not be a Canadian" -- a possible reference to conservative writer David Frum.
(Emphasis added.)

So since I'm not a "believing Christian", I guess I couldn't be a true conservative if I cared to.

Or to put it this way to the conservative leadership: Fuck you and your so-called conservative, anti-American asses too.

No comments: