Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Design of this Page, Explained

Short version: done for Jerry Bails, who had a vision problem, making reading stuff online difficult. This design looked just about the easiest to read. So I changed it in the hope that he could and would read it because I thought he might enjoy and as a way to give a little something back for what he's done to the extent that it did anything for me. (He apparently still couldn't read it it, though.)

And this is segue to the longer version.

Amongst his lives, as it were, Dr. Bails was a progenitor of modern comic book fandom. (I should say by modern, I refer to the late 50s/early 60s.)

My unprovable contention is that quite possibly -- in that alternative history sort of way and secrets dying with people -- modern comics wouldn't be what they are: in sales, in existence, maybe as films.

So comics may be what they are due to him.

He joined an email list or two to which I'm a member, slipping in a jeremiad every now and then and, to show my appreciation, i referred him to this very blog. He complained of his inability to read it (a vision problem). I changed the design for him -- as I said, to no avail.

Dr. Bails passed away 23 November 2006.

Info is here and here and here.

No comments: