Saturday, October 27, 2007

Our Leaders: Idiocy In Leadership

Two fresh examples from the War Room.

This can only be construed as an insult to the lap-dog press and, more importantly, the citizens:
Dana Perino said many words at today's White House press briefing. Here are some of them:

"OK. Happy Friday. I do not have anything to start with ...

"Well, I'm not going to comment on market conditions or market movements. There's a lot of different factors that go into that ...

"Look, the problem here isn't the United States. It's not the international community. The problem is Iran ...

"You're going to have to ask FEMA ...

"Again, this is not -- the United States is not at fault. The international community is not at fault. Iran is at fault for not stopping its activities ...

"I'm not going to comment on it ...

"Iran has a choice to make. The problem is not with us; it is with Iran ...

"Well, I think it's a little bit more complicated than that, how sanctions work. And I'll have to refer you over to Stuart Levey at the Treasury Department for how all that works ...

"Well, I'm not an economist. And we could try to get you together with Eddie Lazear ...

"I'm not going to comment on the market movements ...

"Can I look into it?

"We'll get back to you on it ...

"Every time I come in here, you ask me about President Putin's comments and it's like you want me to say something derogatory or negative about another world leader on behalf of the president. And I'm not going to do it ...

"I am not saying that ...

"I didn't get a chance to sit down on that, but I'll check ...

"I can't remember exactly what our position is ...

"It's the first I've heard of it. And I don't know what the president's position is on it ...

"I'm not well-versed in all of the details ...

"But I'll ask Tony Fratto to get back to you on that ...

"I think it's too early to say ...

"I'm not going to comment on those press reports ...

"I'm sorry. I'm not well-versed in it, but we'll try to get you an answer ..."
A new low in the art, as it were, of lying:
Given what sometimes passes for journalism in Washington, it may have been just as well ... but did the folks at the Federal Emergency Management Agency really think it would be a good idea to have FEMA employees pose as reporters and ask softball questions during a FEMA press briefing on the California fires this week?

Well, yes, it appears that they did. And now that they've been caught, they still do.

As the Washington Post's Al Kamen reports, at least three and maybe four FEMA public relations staffers asked questions of FEMA deputy administrator Harvey Johnson during what was billed as a news briefing Tuesday. Fox and MSNBC both carried parts of the briefing live, apparently with no mention -- probably because they didn't know -- that the reporters asking questions weren't actually reporters at all.

Mike Widomski, FEMA's deputy director of public affairs, was one of the phony reporters and seems to be entirely untroubled by the episode. He tells Kamen: "If the worst thing that happens to me in this disaster is that we had staff in the chairs to ask questions that reporters had been asking all day -- trust me, I'll be happy."

Update: FEMA issued a statement this afternoon saying that it is "reviewing" its "press procedures" to ensure that its future communications are "straightforward and transparent." "The real story -- how well the response and recovery elements are working in this disaster -- should not be lost because of how we tried to meet the needs of the media in distributing facts," the agency says. "We can and must do better, and apologize for this error in judgment."

At the White House, press secretary Dana Perino said that the White House didn't know about the phony briefing before it happened and does not approve of the concept. "FEMA has issued an apology, saying that they had an error judgment when they were attempting to get out a lot of information to reporters, who were asking for answers to a variety of questions in regard to the wildfires in California," Perino said. "It's not something I would have condoned."

No comments: